Islam, Konwledge & Civilization

A Class Learning Tool

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

islamic architecture vs muslim architecture

Go down 
AuthorMessage
aida nesa

islamic architecture vs muslim architecture Empty
PostSubject: islamic architecture vs muslim architecture   islamic architecture vs muslim architecture Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 1:02 pm

Such architecture is to be called rather “Muslim”, that is to say, the architecture of Muslims who perceived, designed, built and then used it. Calling an imperfect architectural creation as “Muslim” entails no problems for the sake of a proper comprehension of what goes on, whereas calling the same as “Islamic” could create problems.

In other words, while Islamic architecture represents the spirit of Islam, Muslim architecture represents the spirit and mentality of Muslims.

Unfortunately, it is a fact that a vast majority of Muslims today fail to completely adhere to the dictates of the Islamic law and the connotations of the Islamic worldview.

islamic architecture means:

1. the space building has its function and not to be abandon
2. anything that has to be build must not having waste
3. the building must be build in order to shape a perfect ummah among muslim.
4. formed in order to answer the demands of the notion of ‘ibadah (worship)

muslim architecture means:
any architecture that build by muslim, and can be generalized according to regions, communities and historical episodes

Every Islamic architecture is Muslim. But every Muslim architecture is not necessarily Islamic.

we cannot simply saying that anything building is an islamic architecture as it will create confusing among other, especially with non-muslim.

islamic architecture itself is not achieve for just the look of a building such as in masjid, they have doom- doom is not an islamic architecture. islamic architecture means the building has its own function which has benefit for islam itself.

any view from others?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: islamic architecture vs muslim architecture   islamic architecture vs muslim architecture Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 12:53 am

I agree that Muslim architecture is not necessarily islamic.

I would also like to add that one of the main focus of islamic architecture is that it shall represent Allah's infinite power by form of designs with repeating themes that suggests Allah's Almighty and Greatness.

Besides, an islamic architecture is also called the "architecture of the veil"

Why?
It is mainly because of the characteristics of the building itself that promote privacy to its occupants. For example like the houses in Arab region, where they have courtyard hidden from public views for the owner's privacy. Other example is that, the beauty can be seen only when one enter the building, because the exterior part of the building does not decorated elaborately. This is to promote modesity and balance.

- It is an architecture that can only felt when entered, penetrated, and experienced from within.
- It is an architecture that promotes harmony between nature and mankind.
- It is also an architecture that constantly reminds mankind of the purpose of living as Allah SWT's servants.

Finally, it is an architecture that takes into consideration and apply certain ideological Principles and objectives rooted in the Islamic faith and the Muslim culture.

Thus, as future Islamic architects, we need to consider all these factors to ensure that confusion does not rise up between the term Muslim architecture and Islamic architecture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: islamic architecture vs muslim architecture   islamic architecture vs muslim architecture Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 10:02 pm

salam,,,juz want to tell that i admire people those days..to see how intelligent they were to built something without scale or whatsoever that we have these days,, Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: islamic architecture vs muslim architecture   islamic architecture vs muslim architecture Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 4:17 pm

its good to see building that has something significance and amazing look.

our lecturer once asked us "why do malaysia build KLCC? what you can see and feel from KLCC? why don't they build KLCC horizontally?"

from the moment, i begin to think deeply. if i am a will-be-architect in the future, is it I MUST NOT build something like skyscraper or taller building...because my action to do that is making the kiamat is coming faster? i realize that somehow the architect nowadays is thinking about more inventive and futuristic design, but the way they express it is not the way in islamic way. even the desert is going to be green.

our mind is become secular when thinking about the design. we only just want to compete each other. the materialistic comes first.

but when thinking about the population of world is grow exponentially- 1,2,4,16, and so on, the number should be doubled in the next 500 years, unless there is another huge outbreak of SARS or avian flu that will eliminate a few million, or perhaps another huge natural disaster that will decrease human population, or perhaps another great world war occurs near future that will claim billions of human lives, by then the population will fluctuated. we just cannot cut the trees in the forest just for human shelter, because doing so is creating trouble to us too. so the solution is build a multilevel house such as condominium, etc.

so architecture and buildings do play their parts in the community and it is very very very important, we dont just build buildings, we do things with reasons.
Back to top Go down
aida nesa

PostSubject: Re: islamic architecture vs muslim architecture   islamic architecture vs muslim architecture Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 1:06 pm

its good to see building that has something significance and amazing look.

our lecturer once asked us "why do malaysia build KLCC? what you can see and feel from KLCC? why don't they build KLCC horizontally?"

from the moment, i begin to think deeply. if i am a will-be-architect in the future, is it I MUST NOT build something like skyscraper or taller building...because my action to do that is making the kiamat is coming faster? i realize that somehow the architect nowadays is thinking about more inventive and futuristic design, but the way they express it is not the way in islamic way. even the desert is going to be green.

our mind is become secular when thinking about the design. we only just want to compete each other. the materialistic comes first.

but when thinking about the population of world is grow exponentially- 1,2,4,16, and so on, the number should be doubled in the next 500 years, unless there is another huge outbreak of SARS or avian flu that will eliminate a few million, or perhaps another huge natural disaster that will decrease human population, or perhaps another great world war occurs near future that will claim billions of human lives, by then the population will fluctuated. we just cannot cut the trees in the forest just for human shelter, because doing so is creating trouble to us too. so the solution is build a multilevel house such as condominium, etc.

so architecture and buildings do play their parts in the community and it is very very very important, we dont just build buildings, we do things with reasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: islamic architecture vs muslim architecture   islamic architecture vs muslim architecture Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 6:08 pm

salam,,i agree with aida nesa,,,we should do things with reasons..what is our intention in doing something??if the intention is for the sake of Allah,,you will be rewarded but if not??you will get nothing but the intention you want it for...that is why a hadith by Bukhari and Muslim..
Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab:
I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for."

so guys,,,beware of your intentions,,lets purify our heart so that our intentions will be purely just for the sake of ALLAH...amin,,,
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: islamic architecture vs muslim architecture   islamic architecture vs muslim architecture Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 2:33 am

well done you guys! thank to Allah that at least we have a sense of realization regarding this matter.yea.nowadays we can see people are struggling to build skyscrappers with the intention of showing off.with the intention of telling others who is better.its really sad you know when we as an islamic country,the nation especially muslims are too proud about KLCC building but in fact we actually jahil about what have Allah ask to follow and leave of what He prohibits

one more case that i would like to highlight here is regarding the environment.the surrounding.we totally ignored about nature.we deliberately destroyed the forests thus the habitats of animals also being affected.then now we solely blame the wild animals for disturbing us but actually we are the factor and to be blamed off.Allah has gave brain for us to think wisely but still no sense of realization.
actually we especially the architects have to stick to one principle which is built environment=nature environment.
built environment and nature environment must be compatible.theres no destroying between these two things.
how?
for example, if i want to build a building in a coastal area where there also has a mangroves preservation and i know that mangrove is the best foundation to be used in building construction.so i use it.meaning that i am already destroyed the mangroves.so in other way,i can used concrete as a foundation as an alternative.simple as that.apart from that,i also destroyed the habitats of the fish,crab,oyster that live in that mangrove area.thus mangrove also really helps to protect the shoreline from wash away in storms.the roots and trunks break the force of the waves.leaves and branches reduce the effect of the wind and rain.as we know,mangrove is the best plant to be planted as it is unique ability to thrive in wet and salty growing conditions unlike other plants.people should study and consider the surrounding and not solely a building itself.

may we practice it in accord of His regulations and what is most important thing is our intention. =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aida nesa

PostSubject: Re: islamic architecture vs muslim architecture   islamic architecture vs muslim architecture Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 10:23 am

i guess i know you 0920802

haha..yes, i agree to the point that when we excavate new place for site, we actually depleting the nature unconciously. maybe it can be intended or unintended. may i ask opinion, if we have to place new building in certain places(and have to clear the land too....) it is meant we do not follow islamic architecture? maybe any of you can share some story or dalil from al-quran, or perhaps the word from Rasullullah s.a.w himself?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: islamic architecture vs muslim architecture   islamic architecture vs muslim architecture Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:06 am

for sure you know me because you are the one who loves to memorize peoples matric number.lol.

well,back to your question..in my opinion land is the place for human being to live.to survive.thats why Allah gives us the land.the main point here is how we use the land.do we use the land for a good purposes? yes.mosque,school,house are good examples.moreover we as an architect (wanna be) can design the building which can turn into green building by using passive design.for instance, wind for air ventilation and the sun orientation for lighting purposes (try to minimum the use of artificial lighting as possible).these at least can minimize from destroying the environment right?

in contrast,whats the point of having a building with a passive design and take all the considerations in a way to reduce the damaging on earth if that building is being constructed for a bad purposes?

so the word 'purpose' is important.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: islamic architecture vs muslim architecture   islamic architecture vs muslim architecture Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

islamic architecture vs muslim architecture
Page 1 of 1